The conference is exclusively plenary sessions
Day 3 - Thursday 26 March 2020
Trips for international delegates
Day 2 - Wednesday 25 March 2020
09.30 - 16.45 Conference
Day 1 - Tuesday 24 March 2020
09.30 - 16.30 Conference
18.30 - 20.30 House of Lords Drinks Reception
How is Compensation Dealt with in the US, Australia and South Africa
Delivering and Assessing Compensation in the UK - The Emergence of Independent Valuations
- The role and key provision in the US Uniforms Relocation Act 1970 - preventing promoters manipulating land value and paying less
- Valuation Principles and values
- The role of the UK 1961 Land Compensation Act in creating compensation values
- Valuers should not be negotiators
- The consequences of not getting it right the first time
- CPA proposals for reform
Heathrow Expansion - The Use of Development Consent Orders to Assemble Land
- The need
- The challenges
- The approach towards engagement and negotiation in the DCO world.
- Can the DCO process be brought to other land acquisition regimes?
- Future processes
Future Infrastructure Needs for Cities - How Land Needs Will Vary in the Future
- The economic imperative
- Decay and Renewal are core drivers
- Smart living, smart working - What will the future cities look like? How do we plan them?
- Work/live in the community -v- commuting
- Refocusing communities and economic strategies
- Buildings and infrastructure built now - are they fit for the future?
- Strategies of the National Infrastructure Commission
- New urbanisation, community growth strategies and opening up land for use
- The role of private enterprise with state initiatives
- Panel Debate
Case Study: Land Assembly to Deliver Mass Transport Schemes - HS2 -v- US and Dutch Projects
- Is it a railway or regeneration scheme
- Consenting arrangements
- Commercial exploitation to satisfy project funding
- Compelling case
- Eminent Doman -v- CPO -v- Acquisition by Agreement
- What can the UK learn for the future?
- What is the UK direction of travel?
- Option 1 History and tour of London Southwark
- Option 2 Old London and law and commerce
- Option 3 Hop on hop off bus ticket
- Option 4 Explore independently
Acquiring Land and Rights For Public Projects - Compare and Contrast with North America and Elsewhere
- Acquisition Processes and Procedures in the UK
- The compelling public test
- Compulsory Purchase Orders
- Development Consent Orders
- Transport and Works Orders
- Hybrid/Private Bills in Parliament
- Compensation provisions
- Other powers from around the globe
- What constitutes a "public use" project? The principle in Kelo v. City of New London
- The power of Quick Take
- Human Rights considerations in the US and UK
- Bailiff powers
Land Value Capture and Property Tax Burdens: The Grab of Land Value - The Good, The Bad and the Greedy
- Various LVC schemes around the world
- Making unviable schemes viable
- Does LVC work?
- Why LVC doesn't always work?
- Strengths, weaknesses, unintended consequences
- What are the success ingredients?
- Who should pay for the new infrastructure?
- Are developers and landowners already paying?
- Is LVC fair and equitable?
- Maximising the commercial value of the development
Project Review: 2012 London Olympics and East London Regeneration
- Review of London 2012
- The remit, priorities, legacy
- Pushing the boundaries of best practice
- Stresses & strains and lessons to avoid on other major schemes
- Land Assembly: How did it go?
- Compensation: What can be done better?
What Can We Learn From Canada? Land Acquisition and Valuation Issues from a Canadian Perspective
- Canada's land assembly has it's roots in Westminster but has evolved into a very different process
- An overview of the property and legal framework in Canada, particularly as it relates to expropriation but also reference how the Quebec system is different
- The different disciplines and how specialized they are in this area
- How the projects are funded and procured
- Case studies of different types of public infrastructure, their typical land acquisition programme, and where experts fit into this
- Dealing with institutional (and other types of) owners
- Land Value Capture in action
- Funding models
- Lessons for the UK
Boat to the Palace of Westminster for the House of Lords Drinks Reception
Hosted by Lord Lytton